Burnt Corn Junior High School was open sometimes in the early 1950's. During this era it was the only school in Burnt Corn. Burnt Corn Jr. High went from the first to the ninth grades. It consisted of two seperate building. The second building was directly behind the first building in the photo. There were ten rooms all together, first grade, second grade, third and fourth grade, fourth and fifth grade, sixth grade, seventh and eighth grade, nineth grade, the prinical office and a stage area. The school was heated by pot belly stove using coals and fuel. Bathroom were outhouses some distance from the school. The school upgraded to inside restrooms in mid 60's.
The teachers were as follow: Mr. Earl Lett, Prinical, Mrs Causell, 1st grade; Ms. Simmon, 2nd grade; Mrs. Tucker, 3rd/4th grade; Mrs. Wright, 4th/5th grade; Mrs. Dailey, 6th grade; Mr. Stallworth, 7th/8th grade; and 9th grade Mr. Lett. Mr. Stanley and Mr. Crook were the bus drivers.
Burnt Corn Jr. High school a segragrated school for "colored only." White students lived in Burnt Corn was "bussed" to schools in nearby Monroeville, Evergreen, or Beatrice.
The student body was less than 75. There were two busses assigned to put up students, one of buses continued on to Monroeville to Union High School.