|BURNT CORN, ALABAMA|
Now known as the "OLD FEDERAL ROAD," this primary travel route was
conceived and built to connect Fort Wilkinson, near Milledgeville, Georgia,
to Fort Stoddert, an American outpost north of Mobile, Alabama. Developed
from the 1806-11 postal horse path that followed earlier Native American
paths, the Federal Road subsequently became a primary travel route for
pioneers going to the Mississippi Territory. The Federal Road functioned
as an important link between Washington, D.C., and New Orleans. Early settlers,
of the area now known as Monroe and Conecuh Counties, in Alabama included
the Middleton and many other South Carolina families.
Read an expanded history of the Old Federal Road.