"THREE CHOPPED WAY"
"Three Chopped Way" was established between Natchez, Mississippi and Burnt Corn, Alabama in 1807. This was the main road across the old Southwest immigrants, travelers, and settlers used moving to the western United States. It was the "only" road settlers used to go into the Southwest. It was the first east-west connection that tied together the two primary north-south roads, the Natchez Trace and the Federal Highway. When they built the extension in 1807 from Burnt Corn to St. Stephens, Indians and surveyors used a system of blazes chopped into tree trucks to direct traffic, thus the name "Three Chopped Way."
The Three Chopped Way" was important because it opened migration through the first land sales in the public domain areas of the Mississippi Territory. Burn Corn is located at the junction of the Wolf Path (route to Pensacola Highway 29) and "Three Chopped Way.